Saturday, April 5, 2008

Twenty Four Weeks - What a Week!

Sorry there are not many pictures this week - there really wasn't anything we would want to remember via pictures happening! This week started with Brody having what I thought was a typically runny nose and cough (seems like he has had that for the last two months!). I dropped him off at daycare on Tuesday and asked them to watch him because he had started to wheeze the night before. I had a feeling that something was going on with him but also thought maybe it was just me being worried (as usual). When I went to get him in the afternoon they told me he just wasn't being himself and that he had a temp of 101.5. So I packed him up and took him right back to work. One of the doctors were nice enough to see him after hours and it was decided after watching him that he was really breathing heavy and that I should take him to the ER. So I headed home to get Jim and we headed down to Grand Rapids. We were seen right away and they started monitoring his oxygen level. By the time we got there his breathing had gotten a lot more labored and his little belly was moving so much to try to get the air in. He got another breathing treatment while we were there and then a chest xray. He was put on oxygen and an IV was started so they could give him antibiotics until they could figure out what exactly was happening. By midnight we were informed that they thought it was a viral infection and that we would need to be admitted so he could stay on oxygen - but there were no rooms! So Jim and I had to stay in the ER until the following day. They brought in a crib for Brody and Jim and I tried to sleep together on the bed (boy was that uncomfortable!). The next morning they moved us to the Peds side of ER and then up to a room around 11am. My mom and dad came to stay with us so that we could have a little break once in a while. My friends from Ferris were nice enough to stop by and see us too (it is really nice to have friends who work at the hospital because you always know you will have support!). It was determined that Brody had RSV (which is a viral infection that affects a lot of people but only a small percent have to be hospitalized - most people just have symptoms similar to a cold). So there was nothing we could do but wait for him to be able to come off of the oxygen. My mom stayed with me in the hospital Wednesday night so that Jim could get some much needed rest. Brody came off his oxygen on Wednesday night and they watched him over night and he did fine. The doctors came on Thursday morning and we were allowed to come home on Thursday around 12pm. Brody is doing much better now - although still not eating well but that seems to be slowly improving. He is back to his happy self and actually learned how to use the jumparoo yesterday afternoon (the only picture I have to offer this week).

Last week I wrote how I never knew I could love this little man so much - and this week has shown me that I never knew I could worry about someone so much either! This week was so trying - I really didn't know that I could handle much else going wrong but I guess things like this just show you how strong you can be. It really was heartbreaking to watch your little baby lay in the hospital with all of these tubes and cords attached to them and the worst was that you knew he just didn't understand that you were trying to make him better. I am so thankful that our stay was so short and that he has improved so much...a child really does change your life in ways you could never imagine!

No comments: