Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Welcome to the World Ryder James!

 
Our family became complete on Wednesday, January 23rd, 2013 at 6:48pm.  We welcomed Ryder James into the world weighing 7lbs 3oz and measuring 20 inches long.  Jim and I were both in awe at the sight of our second baby boy - it's just amazing how you instantly fall deeply in love with this little person!
The last time I posted we were waiting for the 35 week ultrasound to see how big our little baby was.  We found out at that time that the baby was measuring about 4.5lbs and in the 14th percentile for weight - as you can imagine, I got a little worried.  I was reassured by the doctors that everything was going to be fine, I was just going to have a little baby.  The following weeks were filled with anticipation as we awaited the arrival of our little guy.  I had Addisen at 36 weeks, so I was expecting the same with this one, so really after I hit that date, I began to analyze and worry about every little feeling.
Ryder was the only one of my children that sent me to the hospital with a false alarm.  On Sunday, January 20th I was feeling a lot of pressure and just didn't feel right.  So Jim and I headed to the hospital while my parents watched the kids.  After they monitored me for about an hour, they sent me home saying I was still only 2cm dilated and having contractions every 8 minutes.  I came home in tears - first of all because I went to the hospital when nothing was going on and secondly because I was having contractions every 8 minutes and I didn't feel them - of course I began to worry that this little baby was going to be born at home!
 
Last Tuesday night I began to have contractions frequent enough to start to time them.  By the time Jim and Brody got back from Soccer they had become somewhat regular but then quit by 8pm.  I began to think this little baby was going to make it all the way to the due date.
 
On Wednesday my dad had to work in Grand Rapids so my mom offered to come stay the night with us.  I had to teach at our downtown campus for 6 hours on Wednesday - so it was going to be a long day and I was thankful to have her coming to help us out at night.  I had no signs of labor during the first class, but then at about 2:20pm I had the first major contraction.  The next one came about 10 minutes later and then I was at the front of the class teaching and texting Jim at the same time to ask him to go and get Addisen from Daycare - I knew this little baby had decided to enter the world.  I was teaching with another faculty member and at 3pm I looked at her and said "you are going to have to walk me over to the hospital after class".  I saw the fear in her eyes - she was already concerned that it was too much for me to teach that day.  Class ended at 3:30pm and we had a few students asking questions - by this time all I could do was focus on not showing my pain - the contractions were coming quicker than every 5 minutes.  Once class ended, we headed over to the hospital - our building is luckily attached to the hospital - but gosh it felt like we were walking miles!  The contractions were coming quick and they really hurt.  The other faculty member kept asking me if I wanted to sit down - but all I could focus on was getting over to the hospital and making sure the baby wasn't coming before Jim got there.  I checked into the ER and was up to Triage by 3:55pm.  The nurse from Sunday came to help me and told me that I was dilated to 6cm - it was true, our little baby would be here before we knew it.  Jim was still an hour away, so I was hoping that things would slow down a little.  Next, the nurse that delivered Addisen came in to start my IV - it is so funny that after 2 years she was so vivid in my memory - I'm not sure those nurses know how much they mean to a delivering mom!  It took them about 7 tries to get an IV set (luckily this gave me something else to focus on and I could laugh about it).  Everyone kept commenting on how well I was doing for being at 6cm already (this I think jinxed my experience).  I got moved to a delivery room and Jim showed up at about 5pm, then I got my epidural.  The anesthesiologist came in and it was the husband to one of my very first students.  He had never met me in person, but I knew a lot about him through her stories as a student and now facebook.  It was nice to have something to talk about vs. the thought of what he was doing.  Shortly after placement my legs were numb, but then the pain of the contractions were back stronger than before the epidural.  We tried a bolus dose and changing positions - but the pain just kept getting worse.  By 6:15pm I was fully dilated and the nurse called my doctor - we were so blessed that Dr.Hicks was working in her office and agreed to come and deliver our baby - she is an awesome doctor.  I was in so much pain at this point and the contractions were one on top of each other that all I could do was focus on getting the baby out.  Dr. Hicks showed up at 6:30pm in her work clothes - I have never been so disappointed!  All I could think is that I would not make it the extra 10 minutes it would take her to change.  She was amazing though - back in scrubs in what seemed like 2 minutes.  It was time to push - and I was having such a hard time...but then I got it and at 6:48pm our little boy entered the world - that is the one thing I am good at - pushing and getting these babies out fast :)  He was beautiful - and although Jim and I were both thinking that maybe it was a boy, we still have the feeling it was a girl - so we were still surprised.  I was so thrilled that he was perfect and not TINY!
 
Grandma and Bobo came to meet their 3rd grandchild on Thursday morning after getting Brody and Addisen off to school.  It was such a lifesaver that they were able to stay and watch the kids and allow Jim to be in the hospital with me.  Ryder was an excellent baby - he stayed in the room with us and slept most of the 2 days we were there.  He even figured out the feeding thing rather quickly and has been doing great since.
We weren't sure what Addisen would think of Ryder - but she showed up at the hospital to meet him Thursday night and all she could say was "my baby!".  She had lots and lots of kisses for her little brother.  The nurse had to come and check his vitals, and Addisen lost it!  She just started screaming "My baby, my baby!".  Jim had to take her out of the room because she was so angry!
 
We knew Brody was going to be in love - from the day he found out I was pregnant he was sure I was having a little boy.  He had drawn pictures for his brother, and even said if it was a girl he would give the pictures to his dad.  I was so happy that he got his little brother.  I could not ask for either of the kids to love this little guy anymore than they do - every morning they are looking for him and when they get home from school he is the first one they want to see.  He gets a lot of kisses and "it's okays".
 

 
We headed home from the hospital on Friday afternoon.  I had enough time to get settled in at home before Jim picked up the kids.  The transition has gone pretty well.  I was overwhelmed on Friday night with everything going on, but Jim has been amazing.  He has kept us grounded and assured me that we are going to be fine.  I have to keep remembering my New Year's Resolution - be thankful.  Don't worry about the days/weeks/years to come...just be thankful in this moment - we have been so blessed.

 Big Brother Brody on the day Ryder came home.

Can you tell how much she loves this guy?  I know this was the right thing for our family - a little boy is the perfect completion to our family - and exactly what we needed.  Brody and Addisen love him so much, I just can't imagine life with out him (even though it has only been one week).

Jim came through with the stork!  I am so happy - we couldn't have it any different for our third child!
I just stare at him - he is perfect...

 

They were so sweet at daycare - they sent us this picture on Thursday morning.  She is one proud big sister!


I'll end with my favorite picture so far - he is just too sweet!

No comments: