Monday, September 3, 2012

My Baby Boy is Leaving the Nest...on a BUS!

 
Tomorrow will be Brody's first day of Developmental Kindergarten (Young 5s) at Rockford Public Schools.  I have been dreading this day since one week ago when we went to orientation with him.  He did pretty well overall, a little shy, but after his teacher read him a story he ran off to ride the school bus without looking back.  Jim and I met him out on the playground, he was standing next to the jungle gym watching this little boy yell at his mother, and that's when it all started setting in.  He was going to be exposed to the world, not the world that I created for him (or decided on for him), but the real world...I wasn't ready of this!  And then to top things off we asked him how the school bus ride was, he said bad, no one wanted to be his friend...my heart broke again!
Since last Monday Brody had become more excited about riding the school bus and starting in Mrs. Zimmerman's class - which was making things easier on me.  But then this weekend he started talking about how he was getting nervous to ride the bus.  At first it was because there are no seat belts on the bus and he could fall and hurt his head, and now today it is because he may not make any friends.  It is taking everything for me to not drive him in to school everyday...I know this is good for him, this is good for me...but it doesn't feel good tonight!  I told him before he went to sleep tonight that tomorrow he would leave mommy's nest, he curled up in my arms and said he didn't want to...oh how I wish that was an option!  I sit here writing all this while my "school ager" is sleeping in his bed and I can feel his little sister/brother just barely kicking away in my stomach - how strange to be trying to hold on to one so tightly with literally carrying the other one everywhere I go!  It seems like yesterday that I was laying in bed talking to Jim on the phone and telling him " Oh!  I just felt the baby move!" - now I just wish I could keep him with me forever! 
 
 Luckily I also have this little one to keep me busy tomorrow!  She will keep me smiling and moving in the morning!  The plan is to take her off to daycare and make it back here in time to see Brody off on the bus.  And then of course meet him at school to make sure he is feeling okay about the change (and so I at least know he made it through the bus changes and arrived at school!)  I did check with the teacher to make sure it wouldn't disrupt his day too much by showing up!  Then I told Jim I will probably end of leaving work early to come home and see Brody off the bus, I don't think I will be able to stand not seeing his expression as he gets off the bus - that will be the answer to everything for me...is he smiling?  Yes - then that will make my days ahead easier!

 We spent the long weekend at the cottage - and Brody did a lot of fishing with his dad!
 Yesterday we were out swimming in the water when Brody tried to climb the dock and slipped off.  At first I thought that he had just gotten scared, but then we realized his finger was bleeding. Some how he got his finger stuck on the dock and tore the skin between his top two knuckles off - the poor little guy!  I have been changing the bandage daily and he just cries and cries...I think it will be a while before it heals - and of course happens the day before school starts!
 Here he is trying to get me to give his worm a kiss!
The local orchard had a special event this weekend - so the kids were able to enjoy some rides and ponies!  On Saturday we went for a horse drawn wagon ride and then on Sunday went back so the kids could play in "Kids Land".  We were shocked by how many rides Addisen went on - she even rode a pony!  Brody had a great time on the rides and in the bounce house - I think he went through it 15-20 times!  The Cottage has turned out to be everything I hoped - a place to make great family memories!

Brody started playing flag football a few weeks ago.  Jim is the assistant coach and is definitely getting a new idea of what patience means (it is a team of 4-5 year olds!).  Brody has been doing great - he got to play on the field at the local high school for his first two games.  He was lucky enough to make a touchdown the first game and was oh so close to doing it again in game two!

 One of my favorite parts about being at the Cottage is sitting by the fire at night and watching Brody and Jim fish from the dock.  The joy I see in Brody's face and all the trust he has in his daddy - it just seems perfect.  And then the best part is Brody always comes running to me to make smores...most the time the marshmallows are a lot crisper than I would like (he insists on lighting them on fire)...but how can a mom say no!
I hope everyone has a great week....I will keep you updated on how I make it through tomorrow morning!  Then on Thursday Brody will be having his 3rd set of tubes put in his ears and his adenoids removed.  The surgery is only suppose to take about 30 minutes - so keep us in mind from 8:30-9am - I'm sure I will be a worried mess then too!  The recovery isn't suppose to be too bad, he may have a sore throat for a few days, but hopefully he is feeling good by the weekend.


No comments: